Monday, May 12, 2008

Fear of public speaking -- Glossophobia.

Tada!! The time for heart pumping and hand sweating came again!! Forcing myself to talk in the public, I had a chance to deal with my nervousness this morning. Although I have much time to calm myself down as I was the last one to present, everything was out of control when I opened my mouth. My hands were full of cold sweat and my heart was pumping incredibly fast. ( I don't think I will face the same thing even if I am confessing to someone.)

"Good morning everyone, I would like to talk about the sea...arch strategy that I have used in researching my essay topic." The first sentence was not well told and mixed with pauses. Ignoring the mistakes that I had made, I picked up my courage and continued with whatever words inside my mind.

"The topic for my essay is should adderall, an amphetamine be prescribed to teenagers?" That was my second sentence and the rest of the words I said would be too hard for me to remember. This might be due to the nervousness I encountered during the presentation. The presentation I was doing was to give an idea to our lecturer of our progess in doing our essay. Marks would not be given to the brief presentation that we gave but it gave us a chance to get some feedback from our tutor about our skill in presenting our ideas.

According to my tutor, Dr. Elliot, Feeling nervous is very common while presenting. She told us that she will be attending a conference this weekend and nervousness still can be found within her. It is quite suprising as she is a PhD holder who has gone through all sorts of presentation. Furthermore, she is a lecturer which means that her life is full of public speaking. Anyway, she explained that giving a presentation in a conference is totally different from the normal public speaking and nevertheless, she needs to present the work of other people this time.

"Feeling nervous is a good thing! It increases your alertness and makes you aware of whats going on. So don't worry if you feel nervous. That's normal!!"

I believe in what she said as she possesses the knowledge and the experience in public speaking. You will certainly agree with me that she is a good presenter if you attend one of her lectures. The fluency of her speech and the vocabulary she used in her lecture will impress you much.

I hope that one day I will be able to give a presentation just like the way she does. Communication skills and public speaking are vital to a pharmacist. Without these skills, misunderstandings may occur and some of them may cost a person's life. I can't take this risk!!

My ultimate goal is to present like Al-Gore , who is the former vice president of U.S. This might be impossible for me but there is nothing wrong to set a high goal for myself right??:P:P Cheers!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should be just the begining of your university's life.I myself would be nervous when presenting certain topic in a school assembly. Preparation and courage will help to be less nervous.
Nothing is easy without hardwork and endurance.Don't worry, have the courage to try more. It takes some time to come to your lecturer's standard.Keep it up.

Jox hOnG said...

hopefully. I will try my best!! BASHA!!!

Jox hOnG said...

NO fear

Yi Tyeng said...

只要有恒心,铁杵磨成针.
I'm sure u can improve your public speaking skills after a few more presentations. I won't say that I'm not nervous at all if I would have to speak in front of my class now but I am certainly a little more confident than I was last year. So 加油吧!

PS: Too busy wif my studies and tests recently, dat's y seldom visit ur blog nowadays.... :p But glad to know dat u're having fun there. I wish I have the time to go for a "vacation" like u just did.... :-(

Jox hOnG said...

Haha. I am really glad that you always support my blog. haha. I am having a hectic life also.. Maybe it is not as hectic as you but i still can't arrage my time effectively.